The Bank Building
This building was relocated to the Museum grounds in 1985, previously the Bank of New South Wales in Lamb St Murgon. Items and information relating to the history of the Dairy Industry are on display and bring back memories to anyone who had connections with dairying.
The Museum is fortunate to have a magnificent Lapidary display in the Bank Building. This was donated by the family of the late Vic Rewald of Murgon .
Machinery used in the production of milk and cheese at the South Burnett Dairy Co-Op are on display downstairs, the Co-Op ceased production in 1995.
Memories of visits to the local cafe for a sundae or milkshake can be experienced when you view our cafe which is also on display downstairs.
This building was commenced in 2015 with a grant from Tarong Community Benefit Funds.
It has been a great asset to the Museum and is used when we have Group Bookings for the
purpose of butter making and information talks. The volunteers also cater for morning teas and lunches on request.
There are some displays in the barn including a Piano recently donated which was
purchased on June 22nd 1937 for £60/11/06. The original invoice came with the piano.
Castra meaning “Our Camp” is believed to be the first home built in Murgon in 1904 and was built by the Nutt family who were sawmillers in the area. Castra has a beautiful crows ash timber floor and is tastefully furnished. Walking through the door of Castra is certainly stepping back in time and brings back many memories of how it was “back then”.
Originally the Anglican Church at Hivesville, the chapel was milled and built by farmers in
the district in the early 1930's.
The Stained Glass Window was donated by a member of the congregation in memory of
members of her family who had passed away. The original church bell is also a feature
which visitors love to ring.
Our Museum Chapel is an ideal venue for weddings, christenings or maybe the renewal of wedding vows.
Trinity was built in 1893 by the Maudsley Family and was previously situated in the Tansey District. Large slabs cut with an adze were used for the walls. The homestead only has two bedrooms and had a family of nine children living there at the time. Eleven people in total.
A question asked by school children who visit, “where did they all sleep”. Well, where did they all sleep?
The Museum received a grant from Tarong Energy Benefit Fund to build a detached kitchen alongside of Trinity. This project was completed in 2011 and tells the story of how our pioneers lived.
This house was owned by Murgon resident Madeline Rice and after her passing was
purchased and given to the Museum by Spiritus. The house was relocated in 2011.
“Madeline's Manor” has many interesting displays such as a schoolroom, kitchen, RSL
display, a magnificent display of telephones donated by the late Mr Col Pearen, a display of clothes from days gone by, photographic history and much more.